Now and Next
The Now and Next group program helps parents and carers develop skills to achieve positive outcomes for their child, family and self. Participants choose outcomes and work towards them with new clarity and purpose. Now and Next is family-centred, based on strengths and takes account of how adults like to learn.
The program is delivered in eight sessions of 2.5 hours held over 8 weeks. Through fun and engaging activities, you will:
- Set goals for your child, family and self-using Pictability© a unique vision setting experience
- Identify a vision and write goals for your child, family and self-using our unique planning tool Pictability
- Learn to apply the principles and tools of positive psychology to achieve better outcomes for your child, family and self
- Learn how to use our ‘goal to action’ strategy to achieve your 3 goals during the program
- Reflect on your child, personal and family strengths using the Now and Next Mindfulness colouring in book
- Identify your signature strengths and how to use them to achieve positive outcomes
- Learn how to create positive relationships with professionals
- Learn how to improve your child, family and personal well-being
- Use an iPad to create a personalised e-book that documents your progress
- Build a network of support
Past participants have greatly valued the group setting that brings together families raising children with a developmental delay or disability. A first of its kind in Australia, this parent led, evidence-based program:
- Provides a safe environment where families can openly share their stories
- Builds new relationships and a network of support
- Enables families to learn about new strategies and ideas from each other
- Empowers and inspires families to “get in the driver’s seat” and take charge of their journey
Register your expression of interest through Eventbrite. You will then be contacted by Stacey to discuss this program further and confirm your attendance.
It is recommended that families be available to attend all 8 Now and Next sessions.
We have run groups for Vietnamese, Arabic and Korean speaking families, and hope to extend this to other languages in the future. For now, we have some capacity to offer a one-on-one Now and Next program for families who require an interpreter.
For more information, please email email@example.com or contact the Now and Next team on 02 9572 8840
The Now and Next program has been developed by Sylvana Mahmic (CEO, Plumtree) and Dr Annick Janson (Clinical Psychologist and Positive Psychology Researcher) both of whom are parents of young men who have a disability. They developed this program because they learnt that a positive vision and a focus on strengths is the best foundation for your child and family’s future.
Watch this 6-minute clip about family experiences of the Now and Next program.
When you complete Now and Next, you will join over 300 other parents and carers in the Alumni!
There are many benefits of the Alumni, including exclusive workshops, events and an online forum.
Families tell us that Now and Next also provides valuable opportunities to connect with other families to inform, support and motivate each other to aim high and see new opportunities for their child now and in the future. Read more about the purpose of the Now and Next program.
Graduates of the program become members of the Now and Next Alumni where they have access to exclusive workshops, meetings, conferences and connection through private social media.
Now and Next is an evolving project. You can read more about how Now and Next began, the process behind it, and how it is growing on the Now and Next alumni blog.
We are currently offering this free to families