Our programs and services are designed to be bundled together to create a tailored package for your child.
Contact us to learn about creating your first package.
Plan and Do: Key Worker and Therapy
The core of Plumtree’s suite of programs tailored for children and family’s individual needs
Evidence shows that using one provider instead of several for a child will lead to the best outcomes.
Plan and Do is Plumtree’s way of providing comprehensive and flexible support for your child under one roof. Relationships are important for the best outcomes. Parents and carers work in partnership with a key worker experienced in early childhood development, who can be one of the following specialists:
- A speech pathologist
- An occupational therapist
- A physiotherapist
- A special education teacher
Our team members work from the heart for a caring and respectful partnership. You will learn skills and strategies that build on your knowledge because it is you who will make the difference for your child.
Explore our programs below
AAC for communication support
All children communicate, but some may do it in ways other than speech.
Many strategies are available to help them be heard and understood by family, peers and in the community. Augmentive and Alternate Communication (also known as AAC) is the term for a range of methods other than oral speech used to express thoughts, needs, wants and ideas. They include visuals, signs, iPads and computer technologies.
AAC can also help some children develop language and verbal skills faster, until the supports are no longer required.
Ask your keyworker about including AAC in your Plan & Do package and we will implement the most suitable system for your family.
We also run AAC workshops for all families, including those not connected to Plumtree. Subscribe to our newsletter for more information.
Hanen® for language delay
Plumtree’s Hanen® courses provide evidence-based support for children with a language delay. Delivered one-to-one, these specialised programs teach parents and carers the skills for developing their child’s communication through everyday learning experiences and lead to positive outcomes
Three Hanen® programs are available at Plumtree by Hanen-certified Speech Pathologists:
It Takes Two to Talk®
- For parents of children 5 and under who have a language delay
- Learn practical strategies to help your child develop language naturally in daily routines and play
- Understand what motivates your child to communicate
- Twelve sessions
More Than Words®
- For parents of children 5 and under on the autism spectrum or with communication delay
- Learn to motivate your child to communicate and enjoy back-and-forth interactions
- Explore strategies to develop your child’s play and social skills
- Twelve sessions
- For parents of children aged 3–6 with high-functioning autism
- Learn to use your child’s strengths and preferences to develop their understanding of other people’s perspectives and improve conversation skills
- Thirteen sessions
Ask your keyworker about including a Hanen® program in your Plan & Do package.
Depending on demand, we may also offer Hanen group programs for all families. Contact us Subscribe to our newsletter for more information.
LEGO® Together for social skills
Held at school, LEGO® Together is a group social skills program for a child and their peers aged 5–8 years old. It encourages social skills, turn-taking skills, sharing, collaborative problem-solving and the learning of concepts. Children also learn to be self-reflective and give constructive feedback to peers.
LEGO® Together is suitable for achieving goals that include:
- Play and social communication
- Expressive and receptive language
- Fine motor skills
The LEGO® Together program comprises:
- A one-hour for initial program set-up session
- Eight one-hour group sessions, including 15 minutes set up time
- A one-hour review and report session
Ask your keyworker about including a LEGO® Together program in your Plan & Do package and setting up a group at your child’s school
Back on Track for challenging behaviour
Parents nurture their children to grow and understand what behaviours are acceptable and useful, but almost every child will challenge them at some stage with behaviours that are puzzling or hard-to-manage. If challenging behaviour disrupts learning opportunities, interferes with relationships, or poses a risk to the child and others, your therapist may recommend our Back on Track program.
Using an evidence-based Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) approach, we work with parents, carers, or your child’s school team to develop skills that bring positive change. The program includes:
- A comprehensive behaviour assessment and analysis
- An explanation of why the behaviour may be happening
- A plan to replace the behaviour with goals to achieve and strategies to use
- Training for parents, carers, or the child’s school to implement the strategies
- Meetings to monitor the behaviour over time and make changes if needed
Back on Track is available for all families. Contact our client relationship manager Elif Erdogan to learn more. Ask your keyworker about including Back on Track if you have a Plumtree Plan and Do package.
Support for starting school
Getting ready for school is an important part of every child and family’s life. When children go to school, priorities change. Your support and therapy needs change as well.
At Plumtree, we work with you and your child in the years leading up to school, during the transition to school, and up to the age of 8.
During the primary school years, emphasis is often placed on school support, but home and community life are just as important. Your keyworker will work flexibly with you throughout this period of transition for the best outcomes.
Our programs and services for a successful school transition include:
- Children’s group programs on social skills, following routines and independence
- Promoting inclusion in the school community
- Workshops for parents and carers on preparing for school
Ask your keyworker about transitioning to school support in your Plan and Do package.
Getting started at Plumtree
For families with NDIS funding
Plumtree is a registered NDIS provider, so you can use your NDIS funding to purchase our Plan and Do package. We understand that each family is unique, and parents know their child best. That’s why we will work with you to create a package that suit’s your child and family’s needs.
Families starting at Plumtree will receive a welcome visit and experience our innovative Pictability visioning tool. Together, we will plan a good life for the entire family and work towards achieving your NDIS plan’s goals.
You can also purchase a Plan and Do package with your private health insurance, Medicare with a plan from your GP, and privately. Get in touch to discuss other purchase options available
For families without NDIS funding
Plumtree also provides free programs and workshops for all families. You will learn new skills and strategies that have worked for other families, and connect with our passionate and knowledgeable community.
If you have concerns about your child’s development, attend one of our online playgroups or download our resources to get started right away.
You can also contact Lifestart, the NDIS Early Childhood Early Intervention Partner for the Sydney region, about accessing support through the ECEI Approach.
What is the ECEI Approach?
The Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI) approach is available to all children aged under 7 with a disability or developmental concerns.
For families in the Sydney region, the Lifestart team will spend time getting to know you and your child. Every family’s experience will be different. Some ways that an ECEI partner can help you include:
- Listening to what is important to you and your child
- Working with you to determine the best supports
- Identifying and connecting you and your child to the most appropriate supports in your area
- Providing short-term early intervention support where appropriate
- Helping you request NDIS access and develop an NDIS plan if your child becomes an NDIS participant
For more information, read the How ECEI works – step by step process page at the NDIS website.
Get started with Plumtree
We make it easy for you to take the first step. Find out more about getting started with Plumtree.