- This event has passed.
The SHACK- November 2020
Need a little getaway with your family? The S.H.A.C.K. is a lovely seaside complex at Shoalhaven Heads on the South Coast (just two hours South of Sydney).
The S.H.A.C.K. beachside cottages are owned by APEX and Plumtree is sponsoring some accommodation for families of children with disability or developmental delay currently enrolled at Plumtree (FREE of charge for families) 4 times per year during the warmer months.
Plumtree will give priority to families who have never been to the S.H.A.C.K. before.
If you have been to the S.H.A.C.K. with Plumtree before, you will automatically be placed on the waitlist.
We have been made aware that the cottages at the SHACK do not come equipped with Power Plugs covers. If you are concern about this matter, please make sure to bring some power plugs from home.
Also, the children’s bedroom is equipped with bunk beds. If you have very small children and are concerned about the risks with bunk beds, perhaps the SHACK might not be the right accommodation for your family at this stage.
Lastly, the SHACK Management wants us to point out that the SHACK is mainly funded by donations and repairs and maintenance are carried out by the goodwill of volunteers through working bees. Although is a lovely and comfortable accommodation, it’s not the standard of a quality hotel.
How to reserve a cottage
- During the booking, select a cottage. All cottages have similar layout and furnishing and they sleep up to 6 people (Please indicate ALL occupants during the registration process).
- Your booking will be under ‘Plumtree’, not under your personal name. When you arrive on location, occupy the unit you selected in this booking (I will send you a reminder). All cottages are the same. Cottages will be left open for you. The keys will be on the kitchen bench inside.
- Read below for information on what to bring.
- A reminder will be sent to you, from Plumtree, a month before your booked weekend. If you cannot longer go, please let Mana know ASAP so we can offer your spot to another family in our waitlist.
- Due to COVID, the S.H.A.C.K. now requires for families occupying the cottages to read and sign a Waiver of Liability within 14 days of occupying the unit. If this weaver is not received, the booking will be cancelled. Mana will send you this waiver in due time.
Please contact Mana at Plumtree email@example.com or 95728840 if you would like more information.
Book for the SHACK here
More about the SHACK
When is a ‘shack’ not a shack? When it is a beautiful seaside holiday complex of six two bedroom units located at Shoalhaven Heads on the South Coats. This is an APEX/Community project built especially for children with disabilities, delays or serious illness and their families. The units were built mainly by volunteer workers using community and individual donations. They were officially open in 1992.
Each Unit contains two bedrooms and sleeps six (double bed in one room and bunk beds, single and trundle in the other). Cots are also available. All you need to take for a happy stay is food and drinks, sheets and pillow-slips or sleeping bags, pillow and bath towels.
The lounge/dining room contains a dining table and chairs for six, a two-seater and three-seater lounge and colour television. High chairs are also available.
The kitchen is fully equipped with a microwave, stove, fridge and all the kitchen utensils, pots and pans you might require. There is also an iron and ironing board. The bathroom contains a bath, shower, vanity unit and a toilet.
There is a central courtyard area with two double carports and two gas barbecues. The carport area can be used to get together with other families or as a play area for the children. There is a fenced children’s playground and four of the units open onto a fenced front patio.
The laundry has a washing machine and dryer. Washing powder, toilet paper and cleaning aids are also in the laundry. There is a telephone in the laundry for tenets’ use and on the board a list of important phone numbers in the area, e.g. Doctor, hospital etc.
There is a golf course across the road and a path to the beach. The beach is close and is good for fishing. Swimming MUST be between the flags and near the Surf Club, otherwise, the beach can be dangerous. However, a council pool is located about 400 metres from the SHACK and is excellent for small children. Shops and other essentials services are nearby.
Download The SHACK flyer
If you would like to privately book the SHACK
if you would like to privately book a cottage at The S.H.A.C.K., or you have already been through a sponsored spot by Plumtree, you can now book here
Cabins are only $40 per night + cleaning fee